I just have to be honest with you. One of the reasons it takes me so long to get through a room refresh is because I not only do the walls and floors, but I try to reuse everything in the room.
Case in point, this sad, outdated lamp. During the sunroom refresh, it was more than clear. This little darling was too big, too dark, and it blocked the view.
The bottom could be fixed with paint. But, the shade? Huuuum, that’s a different story. The new shade needed to be inexpensive, unique, and see-through.
Yes. See-through. Can you dig it?
To get the ball rolling, I found another lampshade from my stash of old, abandoned lampshades and ripped away the fabric. Although the shape and size of the frame were good, it still needed something.
A few days later, I was shopping for upholstery fabric and ran across this loosely woven jute fabric in the burlap section of the store.
As soon as I saw it, I knew it was exactly what the doctor ordered. I just didn’t know what the heck it was. Turns out, it is jute soil erosion control cloth. Yea. It is. Pinky promise. You know the stuff they lay across newly tilled soil so that it doesn’t blow away or become a mudslide? Yea, that’s the stuff. And, it ravels like crazy. I mean, when the yardage was cut, this stuff raveled a good six inches up from the cut.
So heads up about figuring yardage and handling the fabric. Buy more than you need and handle with care. I bought a yard for a lampshade that is 7 inches (top ring) by 17 inches (bottom ring) by 13 inches (in length). It was more than enough, but because of the unusual raveling, I was able to use the long strings, too. This way, there was very little leftover product and zero waste.
Then, in order to cover the frame without additional raveling, I borrowed a tip from a first-aid playbook. Use a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. So, using strings that had raveled away from the yardage, I wound the strings around the fabric and the frame. This allowed the fabric to be attached to the frame all in one piece. The goal was to stop the
bleeding raveling and get the fabric attached. That’s all.
Once the fabric is securely attached to the frame, the fabric at the top of the shade can be cut away. The bottom will have to be cut away in small sections. It’s sort of a wrap, cut, wrap, cut rhythm. You can certainly go all the way around the bottom before cutting, but it’s awkward to handle. I just cut an inch or two at a time. Notice also, in the picture below, that the frame isn’t completely covered. This is because a second wrap will cover the remaining frame, any knots tied to stop raveling, and the ends of the jute where the fabric was cut.
Once the fabric is secured to the frame and the excess fabric is trimmed away, pull long strings from the excess fabric and wrap the entire top circle and bottom circle of the frame. Make a very consistent loop and pull the jute tight with every loop.
And, that’s all there is to it.
A lampshade made from a biodegradable geotextile used to prevent soil erosion.
Now, I’ve seen everything. 🙂
By the way, at my fabric store, the jute costs $4.95 per yard, but I later saw it at an online fabric store for less than half that price.
The bottom portion of the lamp was painted with various shades of gold, purple, and aqua chalk paint made from Oooops paint. I have no idea what the colors actually are.
And, a low-heat LED bulb replaced a traditional bulb.
All in all, I’d say mission accomplished. The see-though lampshade and the color wash on the bottom portion really help this area to house the much needed lamp, but without sacrificing quite so much of the view.
But, that’s just what I think. I’d love to hear what you think about using this fabric and other fabrics, too.
And, it’s always an honor to have you pin it for later.