The next time you go thrifting,
you might want to swing by the bicycle shop.
That is …
if you think you’d like to have some basket labels made from old bicycle parts.
I simply took a bag to the bike shop
and asked the bike mechanic for parts in their “throw-away” bin.
I had no idea what kind of parts I was getting
or how they could be used.
But, when I came home and dumped all of the pieces onto the floor….
it immediately became clear.
First, some old baskets I already had were painted using latex paint that I had on-hand. After making a cold-water bath for the baskets, paint was sloppily smeared all over them. Then, while the paint was still wet, they were dunked into the water. I don’t know why I opted for this process. I had never done this technique before. In fact, I had never even heard of this technique before. Oh my, is this even a technique? ;-( But, I wanted the color saturated into all of the fibers using this paint. And, this seemed like it would work. And so, I dunked. 🙂
After the dunking, I used a small paint brush to smear the paint even more and force paint into the crevices. I wasn’t concerned that the paint was dark or applied evenly throughout the weave. I just wanted the color going onto every fiber.
Once dried, some of the baskets were painted and dunked a second time….or at least parts of the baskets were. After the process was complete, the baskets sort of looked like they had been “dyed” using Rit. Remember Rit?
The last product applied to the baskets was a left-over glaze in a very dark brown, almost black, color.
It was diluted and washed onto the dried paint on the outside of the baskets.
While the baskets were drying, the second part of the project got underway.
The cassette pieces (not all of the cassette comes apart) had to be degreased. This can be done using Dawn dishwashing liquid or…..if the grease is really thick…. a degreaser. Turns out, I had to use both. But, after two good soaks and a scrubbing with an old toothbrush, the rings looked great. So good, in fact, I elected not to paint them. I just moved on to matching the sections I was using to the numbers.
These numbers were made from the standard font in Word called American Typewriter set to 100 and printed on good quality printer paper. Then a plastic piece was cut from a clear box top to insert over the number.
Once the label was assembled, it was simply glued to the basket using Elmer’s Wood Glue.
It is such an easy project. Ok. The painting is a bit messy and degreasing the parts is ….. well….yuckie. But, overall, it’s a very easy and very inexpensive way to get this kind of look. I didn’t have to buy anything.
And, remember, baskets and boxes can be painted any color you want. I just happen to be planning for these baskets to mix with some aged copper so the color was chosen to work with that finish. These tags would work with just about any color and style.
So…. the next time you’re out thrifting….
……….say hey to your local bike mechanic for me.
And, please, don’t forget to PIN ………..
Or share on Facebook……
Until next time,
#recycle #recycled #green #savetheearth #saveearth #gogreen #earthtweet #motherearth
#dothgreenthing #easy #color #cheap #fun #ecofriendly #upcycle #repurpose #ontheblog #industrial