When my guys come off the mountain after a couple of hours of riding the rugged terrain, they’re not just hungry. They’re Superman hungry.
And as they pull out of the parking lot to head towards home, I always get a text that they’re on the way. Y’all do know that, for super heroes, a text is like the digital version of the bat signal. Right? But, whether it’s a signal shot into the sky or a few words shot across the internet, I know what it means.
….”Hello Girlie….we’re starving and it’s time to get the grub going…..something fresh, but filling……….aaaaand lots of it.”
Lucky for me, I know just how to wrangle these super-sized appetites.
Begin by spreading a flour tortilla with cream cheese. Then, layer with shredded chicken, shredded hot pepper cheese, and green chiles.
Roll up the tortilla and slice it into bite-sized pieces, then cover and pop the tortilla slices into the frig.
While the slices are chilling, layer the chopped vegetables on salad plates and top with finely shredded cheese.
To the layer of vegetables, add a layer of chilled tortilla bites.
How many to add is totally based on preference, but my guys like ’em piled high.
And then cover it all with a light, but super creamy sauce.
Be generous, now. Let that sauce run…run…run….down the sides….and into the nooks and crannies. Make sure every morsel is soaked in that velvety tomatillo goodness.
Then serve it up chilled and piled-high.
And you’ll realize in no time.
That this isn’t salad.
It’s salsa covered kryptonite……for when your guys are Superman hungry.
- 4 Nine-inch flour tortillas
- 4 to 6 ounces of cream cheese
- 2 to 4 Shredded chicken breasts (cooked, rotisserie, canned, or deli-meat)
- 4 to 6 ounces of shredded cheese (hot pepper, jalapeno, sharp cheddar, white cheddar, or asiago)
- 4 ounce can of diced chiles (drained - choose from mild, medium or hot)
- 1 bunch of romaine lettuce (washed and torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 sweet pepper (yellow or orange - diced)
- 1 Spanish onion (small to medium - diced)
- 2 tomatoes (medium - diced)
- 1 or 2 avocados (diced)
- 1 can of whole kernel corn (15 ounce - drained)
- 1 can of black beans (15 ounce - rinsed and drained)
- 4-6 ounces shredded cheese (hot pepper, jalapeno, sharp cheddar, white cheddar, or asiago)
- Fresh cilantro - optional
- Fresh jalapeno - optional
- Fresh garlic - optional
- Verde salsa (16 ounce jar - choose from mild, medium or hot)
- Sour cream (8 ounce container)
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each tortilla.
- Then add a thin layer of chicken, shredded cheese, and chiles.
- Tightly roll the tortilla jellyroll-style.
- Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Cover and chill while preparing the salad and dressing.
- Layer lettuce, sweet pepper, onion, tomatoes, avocados, corn, beans, and cheese.
- Cover and chill.
- For the dressing, mix 4 parts verde salsa to 1 part sour cream (For one serving: 4 tablespoons salsa and 1 tablespoon sour cream).
- Drizzle some of the dressing over the veggies.
- Arrange the tortilla bites on the top.
- Drizzle more dressing over the tortilla bites.
- The cream cheese and sour cream can be original or fat-free.
- This recipe is a mild and creamy adaptation from sour cream enchiladas. To increase the level of heat, simply use more intense garlic, chiles, and salsa.
THERE’S MORE….Check out more recipes from these great bloggers.
Also….sharing at these great parties:
Best of Weekend via Sweet Pea