I Built That!

DIY Wall Ledge – Part II – The Finish and the Fake Wall

HOw to make a fake wall to hide electric cords |The Chelsea Project Blog | www.thechelseaproject.com
Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUponPin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on Yummly

Say hello to Murph.  You know….the mayhem guy……last name….Law.

Yea.  That’s the guy.

 Oh. My. Gosh.

Building the ledge was over and decorating was supposed to be fun.

Right?…..Well……..not so fast.

Once Murph showed up….fun gave way to mayhem…

…and I found myself just trying to push through…and… move…. on.

But, that’s how Murph operates….

….Well…..until now.

The Ledge

Finishing the ledge was like a sweet dream.  After thoroughly sanding, I applied chalk paint in a charcoal black color.  Right now, there is no wax or poly sealer.  I’m not sure what I will do with it, but for the moment… the shelf is A-ok.  Make ledge instructions here.

IMG_0564

Meet Challenge One

In contrast, now say hello to this awful giant electric cord.

After remembering to use the router to make a groove for the cord to fit through the ledge, I thought I was home free.  And, if the off/on switch wasn’t located where it is…..I probably would have been.  Unfortunately, its location caused three problems.  One…the oversized letters didn’t cover it……. Two…..it was too big for commercial covers…..and…. Three… it sucked up a good 1/2 inch of the 3 inch ledge space.  This meant that the artwork I had planned would no longer fit.

*sigh*

So, I had to find a way to make that cord……disappear.

The Fake Wall

It wasn’t really hard once I started channeling my inner David Copperfield.  What I needed was a good old-fashioned trick of the eye.  After all, if David Copperfield can make cars and buildings disappear….surely….and I mean…..surrrrrrely……I could do the same with this cord.  And, then it hit me.  No, seriously…..it really hit me.  The M fell forward from the ledge and gave me such a lick.   Made a knot on my forehead……..but I digress.  To make the fake wall, I simply needed to cut a piece of beadboard equal in height to the M, but slightly more narrow.

IMG_0565

Then I painted the beadboard the color of the wall………..and since the cord below the shelf was covered by the headboard.

Yay!  Cord disappeared.  Problem solved.

IMG_0567

Only while I was busy patting myself on the back, I failed to recalculate that now I had 3/4 inch of the highly valuable ledge real estate committed…..a whopping 1 and 1/4 inches with the M included.  And, it was, in fact, more than this because the fake wall and the letter had to sit forward on the ledge in order to lean back.

Meet Challenge Two

Now, the other letters (J and G) no longer fit…..as a layer on top of the M……..AND the only artwork that fit had to be put in frames that were out of scale with the letters.  Nothing was stable.  The letters were literally teetering up there.

IMG_0570

I mean, we all dream that someday, something would knock some sense into our children’s heads…….but having a letter fall from the sky and whack them in their sleep……..well………that just seems cruel.  Lol.

So, it was back to the drawing board.

New Printed Artwork

I removed the framed pictures, measured how much space I had to work with, and made my own artwork to fit.  I wanted the fake wall to be the first layer, the side-by-side pieces of artwork second, and the M on top as the third layer.  This meant that the framed artwork would have to measure in at about 1/2 inch.  Oh, wow….I needed a miracle.  And, that’s when it dawned on me…. to create the frame out of 1/4 inch plywood and lattice molding.  These items were absolutely the flattest things I could find.  Make artwork instructions here.

New Paint for the Letters

IMG_0892-EditIIThen…the color of the letters…..which had bugged me from the start……got a redo using some of the khaki wall paint (SW Bittersweet Stem) and a dry brush.  This really softened the harshness of the first colors.  Make letters instructions here.

Make Space Using Glue

At this point, I was out of space.  To make it work, I had to abandon the J, set the G on the lip of the ledge, and glue (wood glue) the G to the M.  I expect wood glue will hold the G just fine, especially since its weight is resting on the lip.

IMG_0907

And, my dream….of something knocking some sense into my child will just have to live on……….for another day.  Lol.

Stand Back and Enjoy

And, with that, it had all finally come together…..

….and it was time………to exhale.

To rework the entire ledge and FINALLY get it finished was such a beautiful thing….but also ……a test of many things.

Like… the ability to let go of Plan A….

And…..joyfully scramble to find Plan B…

…All the while, digging in to get the job done when the fun had long sense passed.

I’m not sure which of these is the most effective against Murph……..

……and maybe you won’t know either.

….But, on that day, when one of your projects just completely derails …

….lift up your head

…look Murph square in the eye

…and declare….

…”I got this!”

IMG_0901-Edit

Until next time,

Please……don’t forget to PIN…..

DIY Wall Ledge Part II The Finish and the Fake Wall

Happy decorating,

Suz

Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUponPin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on Yummly

No Comments

  • Reply Isabella January 30, 2015 at 2:00 pm

    This is a beautiful idea!! I can’t wait to try to make my own!! 😉
    Keep up the great work!
    Love,
    Isabella

    • Reply thechelseaprojectblog January 30, 2015 at 2:20 pm

      TY so much…I am delighted that you are inspired. Send pics when you get it completed! 🙂

  • Reply The Cedar Shake Cape January 30, 2015 at 6:49 pm

    Came our great! Nice job!

  • Reply happylaughs January 31, 2015 at 4:19 am

    Brilliant!!!!! It looks fantastic.

  • Hello -- Welcome -- and thanks for your comments!